According to the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, an estimated 6.4 million Americans abuse controlled prescription drugs each year. Most abused prescription drugs are obtained from family and friends, many times from the home medicine cabinet. Having unused medicine at home also increases the risk of accidental drug poisoning, especially among children.
Misuse of prescription drugs can also lead people down a path to heroin addiction. That makes it even more critical to properly dispose of unused drugs.
If you have leftover prescriptions:
- Safely dispose of the medications using a prescription drug drop box. To find a location near you use the map at right.
- Scratch out all identifying information on the vial to make it unreadable to protect your privacy.
- Do not flush medicines down the sink or toilet unless the label or patient information that accompanied the medicine specifically instructs you to do so.
- Use the + or - buttons (in lower left) to zoom in or out.
- Click a marker to view location information.
- To find driving directions click "View in Google Maps."